
Kevin learned in Canada even more so that weather is the one thing that you can not change or influence during a race. So, let's not waste nervous energy on it. Then I love after the race you start to hear "if it wasn't so windy I would have had a faster time", "last year was cooler so of course my time was slower this year", "my time would have been an hour faster on a different course", etc.
There was an article in Triathlete Magazine that talked about how athletes today are too focused on a fast finishing times instead of enduring the challenge. Not that fast finish times don't matter-we all want them! As a result, athletes blame weather conditions, courses, etc for slower times instead of understanding that times vary course to course and year to year. The article says, it is the CHALLENGE of the day that makes the title of being an IRONMAN such an honor- the challenge of fighting the heat, persevering through the rain, pacing up the hills, pushing through pain. Each course offers unique challenges, and each year offers varied challenges depending on the conditions. Times are relative on that given course on that given day! Whether it takes 9 hours or 16:59:59! It's an accomplishment to be proud of!
So stop bitching and get out there and race YOUR best on THAT day!
2 comments:
Great post, very well said.
I would have commented sooner but it's just so hot in here today.
...get it? I'm making an excuse. Haha.
Post a Comment