Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Father


As mentioned in the last post, the day after Christmas I made a trip back to Texas to celebrate my dad's retirement from the county. This was his second retirement. 13 years ago he retired from the Air Force after serving 25+ years. After that he went to work for the San Antonio county.

My mom put together an intimate little party for him with his dearest friends. My parents are some amazing people. Having served numerous years in the Air Force all over the world, they have made some of the most incredible friends that they've kept in touch with all of these years. Many of them ending up in the same city all over again. I grew up around allot of them and they were the ones throwing wedding showers, baby showers (when my mom had us), and parties for all occasions over the years. Some have been a great part of my life in many ways, even making the trek to Colorado for our wedding. One thing my dad said at our wedding this June was that his wish for Kevin and I was that we have great friends that last a lifetime like they have had. I can't say how much I hope that happens for us. Having moved most of my life I usually only kept friends a year or two before moving on again. I made some good friends in college but we've since spread around the country. I can count on one hand the ones I've kept in touch with regularly. I've been in Colorado 6+ years now and have been lucky to make some really great friends...good friends are so few and far between that I can only hope the few dear ones I have remain in my life forever! The fact that my parents were able to keep such great friends for so many years across so many miles is a testament to what incredible people they are!

I digress...back to the party and my dad!

During the party my brother and I got up to say a few words and although he's a pro and able to make everyone in a room laugh, I'm too damn emotional and became a blubbering idiot in about 2.5 seconds. I don't care though because the emotion was genuine! My dad is an amazing man and I am beyond blessed to call him my father. He is one of the most selfless, generous, God-fearing men I've ever known. He ALWAYS puts his family first and for that I am eternally grateful. He put 2 kids through private colleges, paid for weddings, and sacrificed years away from his family while serving our country in the Air Force and that's only the tip of the iceberg of what he does for all of us! If Kevin & I could be half the person he has been to our future family one day then we'd be doing ok. Thank you Dad for being such a defining influence in my life. I am one lucky girl to have such strong men in my life!
I may be biased but these are the same sentiments that everyone in that room expressed as each one stood up to recognize my incredible father!

Dad-I am beyond proud of you and so incredibly happy that you get to enjoy retirement at a ripe young age of 61! May the best be yet to come for you and mom in this next chapter of your life! I love you!
Don't worry, I wasn't as scared as I look! Bad timing!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Ummm, he's not even my dad and this post made me a little emotional ;-) I could tell at your wedding what a wonderful person you dad is, and all the love he has for you.

I feel the same way about good friends. You guys just need to pop out some kids and we call be PTA moms together ;-)

You know I'm kidding! Or am I?