Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Friday, August 8, 2008

I've Done All I Can Do

I've done all I can do for IM at this point. Now I get to rest, pray for a good day on August 24th, and let the energy of the universe dictate the rest, it's out of my control- I did my part. Well, I still gotta get my nutrition and pacing right on race day, that is in my control I suppose.

2 weeks from right now it'll all be over and I'll likely be gorging myself on any morsel of food I can find to put in my mouth. This weekend was the last of my "serious" training. I didn't do as much as I have the last 2 weekends as the taper is in full swing but I rode 4 hours on Saturday and I ran 2 hours on Sunday. The next two weeks will be allot of rest and massage.

Kevin came up Friday night, preparing to race the 5430 Half Ironman on Sunday. I was bummed I wasn't doing it (it was my PR last year and I was hoping to be able to break that) but I knew I likely couldn't recover in 2 weeks and have a solid IM so I decided against it. If I could have gone easy I probably would have been OK, but knowing myself I would have raced it and been trashed for a week. Being a spectator was hard when you want to be racing. Kevin had a good race though. He wasn't planning on racing the whole thing, just the swim-bike-and 1 loop of the run. The weather was perfect. It's usually 95+ degrees but today it was overcast and comfortable which enabled many PRs on the course!



Perfect Racing Weather & Beautiful Sunrise at the Boulder Reservoir












I'm a little anxious about the next two weeks. I don't do well with recovery weeks. I'm usually in a bad mood, can't sleep well, and grumpy about not putting in the long hours. These next 2 weeks could make or break my race so I HAVE to be patient and back off. It's hard but I know if I don't I might not be fresh at the starting line and could jeopardize what I've worked so hard for the last 8 months. I hope to go up to the mountains the weekend before we leave and get a little elevation. If we can get 24 hours or so of 9-10,000 feet, up where the air is rare, when we hit 1,263 ft in Penticton on August 21st, we'll already have an advantage! It feels good to have thick air and our muscles love all the red blood cells!
Patience has never been a strong suit for me so I'm going to focus on that the next 2 weeks!

5430 Half Ironman -Boulder, CO August 10th, 2008

No comments: