Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Boulder Peak




Boulder is Peak is with out a doubt one of the top triathlons in the country, if not in the world. And....it's right in my back yard! It doesn't get much better than that in my opinion. I haven't been racing much this season in preparation for Ironman in August but this was one I was really looking forward to and was ready to see how I could do compared to last year.


At transition & watching the skydivers kick start the race

Last year I swam the 1500m in 25:15, road the 40k bike in 1:23 (18.8 mph) and ran the 10k in 55:05 (8:53min mile). I knew I was fitter this year in all three disciplines and was ready to prove it! I had ridden the course the week before and had done it in 1:15 with a group. I was confident I could do between 1:15-1:20, closer to 20-21mph. And I knew for sure I could run sub 50min 10k.
Leading the swim at the start!
Swim Exit, Up Hill!

Well, I proved it on the swim and that was about it. I swam the 1500m in roughly 21 minutes (23 after the long run out to transition). I pushed hard the entire swim, passing people from earlier waves and knew I was top 5 or so girls out of the water. I had a quick transition (1:10) and I was feeling good on the bike cruising up Jay Road, turned up highway 36, passing people like crazy!
Heading out on the bike

There is a sick climb only a few miles in that is so steep many people get off their bikes and walk. I think it's about 13-15% grade with 1 false summit. I remember my first attempt up it last year I thought I was going to die but living in Boulder now I probably climb it once a week so I knew I was stronger up it going into the race on Sunday. And I was! I was feeling good, pushing hard, had great turn over, etc. I was nearing the summit and so excited to have a fast decent and rest my legs for a bit. Then...clack clack clack clack. CRAP! I dropped my chain. I hoped off to take a look hoping it wasn't jammed into my cassette again! Nope definitely wasn't jammed but I was shocked!!! My rear derailer was bent upright into my spokes! How the hell did this happen? I've never heard or seen anything like this before in my life. I tried to apply a bit of pressure just to get it out of my spokes so it wouldn't ruin my pricey wheels and "SNAP" it snapped right off, clean break in the metal derailer hanger. My race was over! I was so pissed off! I couldn't believe it happened in the first place but especially climbing up a steep/slow hill. Usually this type of thing happens mountain biking in a hard crash, not just riding up a hill. I guess I'm just so strong I broke it with my amazing strength! Ha, or not! Luckily I was at the aid station and a nice guy let me borrow his cell phone to call Kevin. He didn't answer at first so I called back and finally got him. He was really confused. He wasn't expecting a call from me, he just saw me head on my bike and take off, why and how was I calling now? I explained what happened and asked him to come get me. I sat on the side of the road pissed off, trying not to cry as I watched all the other racers take off down the hill! :(


Kevin & I

Oh well! I was grumpy for the rest of the day. Kevin and I headed up to fix a stiff drink! It was a crappy situation but better here than in Canada in a few weeks. My bike is custom so I'm having a hell of a time getting a new derailer hanger. Pete is working on it for me and will hopefully have something for me by Saturday or Sunday so I can get my 6+ hour bike ride in this weekend. I'm just thankful I wasn't hurt, had my derailer locked up in the spoke going down the hill I could have been hurt really badly. Screaming down the hill at 35+mph with a locked up wheel = disaster. I supposed it was a best case scenario of a crappy situation.

Boulder Peak 2009, here I come!

The photos are of the Boulder Tri Club Aid Station "going green".

No comments: