Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Swim, Bike, andd Run Run Run--6.5 Weeks to GO!

So Ironman is officially only 6.5 weeks away and I'm getting a little nervous. I definitely gaining fitness but I feel like I have alot more to gain between now and then. Truly I only have about 4.5-5 more solid weeks of training because the last week to week and a half will be spent tapering.

I feel that my swim is about where it's going to be, which I'm happy with. At this point I'm confident I can swim 1 hour in Canada. I want to gain fitness on the bike. I'm ready to do some longer 6 hour rides this weekend and beyond. I need to push myself hard getting in some tempo efforts mid-ride when I'm fatigued. Mostly I need to work on my run. I did my longest run yet on Sunday of 2.5 hours and felt good. I'm not sure running over 3-3.5 will really do much aerobically but I feel the pounding will really help since I'll likely run an IM marathon of 4.5-5 hours. I did a run with the tri-club last night and had nothing to give. I felt like I was running as hard as I could and it was all I could do to hang on to the back of the group when I'm usually out in front or top 3-4. I need to work on speed and learn how to run faster as the race gets longer and I get more tired.

I haven't even done one IM yet so I fear I'm jumping ahead of myself but I don't see myself doing another one next year. I absolutely love the training and I love to race but IM is such a HUGE commitment. Will I do another one? Guess I won't know for sure until I do my first one but I definitely think I'll do more in the future. Will I do it every year? Doubtful. The prices are going through the roof and because of the time commitment to long, slow workouts I don't get to race as much as I want. I think I'm going to focus on 1/2 Ironman next year and try to break 5 hours and maybe win my age group and get a spot to Nationals. If I focus on long but faster workouts I'm confident I can do it.

6.5 weeks to go. Let the count down begin!

No comments: