Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Boulder is on Fire!

As I write this the North end of Boulder is on fire and the winds are still whipping at high rates with no indication of reprieve. I am in awe and don't really know what to say. Several of my friends have already had to evacuate there homes along with 11,000 other people evacuated earlier today. I'm thankful I live in South Boulder tonight!

In one regard we are lucky that the fire is up North and burning mostly open space, sparing the homes. However, there are allot of ranches in that area with allot of animals and livestock that have had to get out. The last update I heard was that no one has been hurt, only 2 homes have burned, and all the livestock is safe. I'm grateful that this area is not covered in homes but I'm also sad that all of the beautiful open space is being engulfed in flames. One of the most appealing things about Boulder is all of the open space and the laws that regulate it, not allowing for a certain percentage of land in Boulder to be built on, thus keeping the property values high and the open space/wilderness pristine.

It's going to be so sad the next time I go for a run up there or a ride up Left Hand Canyon and it's charred to a crisp. I hope that because it's winter, it will snow, feeding the ground, and by spring we will have new growth!

Thanks to all of the amazing fire fighters who have come to Boulder and are out there right now fighting for our community. May you all return home safely when this is over! My prayers are with you and the citizens of Boulder tonight!

http://www.dailycamera.com/


No comments: