Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Close call in Boulder

The fires are just about all contained in Boulder today and they hope to have them completely contained by tonight. From my house in S. Boulder I can see the black hillside and it's sad. As I got closer it's amazing the amount of land that this blaze consumed and it's even more amazing how CLOSE it came to some homes, which the firefighters did an amazing job of protecting. In the picture below you can see how close it really was and in the end only 3 homes up in the foothills were lost.
I've always had allot of respect for law enforcement and fire fighters but this just blew me away. How many crews pitched in and came from local areas to help, how they pulled 20+hour shifts to control the burn, and how in the end very few structures were lost. Amazing job! My heart goes out to the 3 families that lost everything! It was amazing to see the community pull together and help in a time of need. It restores my faith in humankind and that there is still love and kindness in this world!

I am bummed that many of the best trails and open space in Boulder County are gone but I know that Boulder will rebuild and we are crazy enough to run those routes still to rebuild the trails! In fact, this morning I was up there and saw numerous people out running right under the cliff side that was on fire....only in Boulder, can't miss a workout!

It's still a bit windy and there is still a bit of smoke coming from the hillside but it's looking a bit dark outside, maybe a rain shower is on the way to assist! Here are a few more photos I snapped this morning (which don't really do it justice).


No comments: