Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Friday, May 21, 2010

Walking a Fine Line

This year is creating some ups and downs for me as far as training goes. I thought my season was over before it even began when I got the stress fracture news, then things started to heal up and look more positive. I was hanging on by a thread hoping that maybe I could walk that fine line of balancing injury and pushing my body hard enough to get to the level of fitness I need to compete. I was feeling optimistic and getting stronger.

Then, after 1 silly run on a terrible track (which I will never run on again) and walking around in unsupportive shoes (stupid me!!!!) my calf tightens up, my knee feels a bit "funny", and I'm back to wondering how this year is going to roll! None of the pains or injuries are debilitating at this point but it's a really fine line to not push it so that they become debilitating and still be able to train 15-20 hours a week. I can definitely tell I'm getting older. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm not OLD! But each year I can already tell it takes me a bit longer to recover after a hard session, I wake up stiffer, and those injuries I'm been lucky to avoid for so many years start to show up! A good excuse for more frequent massages I guess!


At this point I'm trying not to put too much pressure on myself to qualify for Kona in June or PR in every race like I did last year. So far this year I'm just really enjoying doing what I want to do each day and each weekend. Spending time walking the dogs, reading a good book, going to the farmers market, etc. Signing up for some new events like the open water 10k swim is a new challenge and I'm absolutely loving the water this year, I can't get enough! It's a huge year for us with the new house, the wedding, Kevin's Ironman in Canada, hopefully a honeymoon in the Fall and a few other trips planned. I just want to enjoy the other pleasures in life as well and if I can race healthy then it's just the icing on the cake.


Summer is right around the corner! I LOVE Colorado summers!


P.S. 3 weeks until we tie the knot!

No comments: