Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

First Swim in a Looooong Time

I jumped in the pool for the first time in a long time yesterday! It was quite a shock to the system, and not just because of the frigid weather outside. I love swimming when it's cool out and seeing the steam come off the top of the water. I was expecting to feel like a rock and sink, especially after being sick for close to a week but I felt strong. Aerobically I felt great, but my arms get tired and I just don't have the turn over that I have when I'm swimming 3-4 times per week, even with weight training.

Thus the commitment begins now to get in the pool at least 2x a week until the marathon May 3rd. Injury prevention and muscle memory will be huge if I can at least get wet 2x. I never have a problem getting my swim fitness back each year so I tell myself it's not that important but I know it will help and by the time we're swimming crazy fast and long workouts again this spring/summer hopefully I'll feel a bit more prepared. I'm hopeful this year that with much dedication in the pool I can shave my times down to 1:20 pace comfortably. It'll be tough but I'm not too far off.

For now, the focus continues to be my run, I have lofty goals for running this year but swimming is creeping back in along with a few rides each week. The yoga and strength training has also been awesome this winter. I plan to continue that this season as well. I'm not sure how I'm going to fit it all in, last year I was training 22-26 hours a week without yoga and weights so I'm going to have to go into prioritization overdrive to be efficient and stay healthy! The weekly massages help too, I can't wait to get those going-the highlight of my weeks in the summer!

It's amazing how after being sick you come back with a new appreciation for health and strength in fitness. I am not good at being lazy and have a VERY hard time sitting back and letting myself rest and recover--some my call it OCD :)--however every time I jump back in I feel good and I feel stronger due to the mandatory rest. I am thankful that I am healthy.

Off to get in a hill workout! Peace...

1 comment:

Uli said...

Did you do the 11.30 swim yesterday? Because I heard that one was a tad nuts. 500m repeats or something... jeeze... Glad to hear you're feeling better, and um, you did a hill workout on the tready today?!? Keep swimming to keep the running pains at bay, it worked for me!