Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Papa Turns 90!!!!



What a whirl wind weekend in Nashville! On June 8th my Papa (my mom's father) will turn 90 years old! The whole family came together in Nashville for a party to celebrate him and his life. We we were expecting around 75 people and over 125 people came! It just goes to show you how much he and my Nana are loved! It was fun to see family I hadn't seen in years and it was special to hear some of the kindest things people were saying about my grandparents. They truly are some of the sweetest people I have ever known and I am so blessed to still have them in my life. I was very close to them growing up and cherish every moment I am in there company. I'm confident we'll be celebrating at his 100th birthday one day! My Papa had 8 brothers and sisters all of which lived to be in there late 90's or early 100's! He and his sister are the 2 youngest and the last ones left. It's pretty incredible. Definitely some fantastic genes in my family. He and my Nana are still as independent as ever. They live in their own house, he still works in his garden 2-3 times a day (and it's not a small garden), and he's still sharp as a tack. Albeit he can't hear worth a lick but I think it's kinda cute when he repeats an entire conversation we just had right in front of him!

Other than the party on Saturday we made the rounds around town. To my brothers house, my cousins house, my aunts house, my grandparents house, my uncles ranch, etc. Eating a HUGE meal at every stop it seemed like. It was fantastic to be home (it had been 2 years since I'd been back for the 2007 Nashville Marathon) and have some fantastic southern cooking.

Kevin made the trip with me to Nashville. It was his first time to meet my extended family and although I know it probably wasn't the easiest trip for him doing MY family events all weekend long, he was amazing and everyone fell in love with him. Family is a big part of my life and it means allot to me that he could be a part of that. I have to share a cute conversation I had with my Nana because it made me chuckle...

Nana: "Sharon, Kevin is such a sweet young man, we are so glad he had the chance to come to Nashville"
Me: "I couldn't agree more Nana"
Nana: "You better hang on to him, he's a keeper"
Me: "I agree. Believe me, I don't plan on letting him go anytime soon!"
Nana: "Well, you better not because you'd be making a BIG mistake!"

Haha. I love it! Anyways, it meant allot to me that I got to introduce them to him. They don't get to meet just any body! But he is definitely somebody!

Few other highlights of the weekend:
  • Ate 5 HUGE meals in just 3 days!
  • Ran only 4.5 miles all weekend!
  • Introduced Kevin to my whole family, including Uncle Fellar! (Yes, that's his name)
  • Had a bonfire almost as big as the Aggie bonfire (OK, maybe not) at my Uncles house!
  • Met 2 cousins I didn't know I had!
  • Had lots of people tell me "The last time I saw you, you were just a little girl", however I'm sure they said the same thing at the last family function!
  • Listened to my Papas hearing aids beep all weekend!
  • Had my foot peed on by my brothers new puppy, Beanie!
  • Got a new digital camera! Wahoo!
  • Had 1 person think Kevin was my brother and that I was my brothers wife! Hahaha
Ah, always an adventure with in Nashville!

(FYI-No my new camera doesn't suck, these photos were taken with my phone before I got my camera. I'll get more photos up later)
Sunset on my Uncles Property Saturday Night

The Hooper Bonfire


No comments: